Be Separate from the World
Christians are in the world, but are not of the world. This is evidenced from John, chapter 17, where Jesus is praying for his disciples prior to His leaving them and returning to the Father in Heaven:
- “And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.” John 17:11
- “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.” John 17:16
So, Jesus has chosen us out of the world:
- “If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.” John 15:19
And Jesus has sent us into the world to do His bidding– His work:
- “As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.” John 17:18
In order to do His work, we can’t be part of the world and the worldly system. We can’t be entangled with the things of this life:
- “Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.” 2 Timothy 2:3-4
We need to come out from the world and be separate:
- “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.” 2 Corinthians 6:14-18
A person can’t have both the world and God. We have to choose:
- “Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.” James 4:4
This also applies to those with which we fellowship (please see section on “What is the true church?”)
- “Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord…” 2 Corinthians 6:17