Anointing with Oil
One of the blessings that God provides for Christians is they can anoint the sick with oil:
- “Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.” James 5:14-15
Note that it has to be elders of the church, and of course it must be the true church. The prayer must be done in faith (faith in Jesus).
Also, oil is needed. What kind of oil? In James 5:14-15, the kind of oil is not stated. However, from the old testament, a case for olive oil can be made, but not proven.
The following two passages indicate it may be olive oil:
1) When King Omri (in the Old Testament) reigned over Israel he had the people abandon the statutes of God and made them follow his (Omri's) evil statutes. As a result, the people would try to anoint with olive oil, but God would prevent this blessing from happening:
- “Thou shalt sow, but thou shalt not reap; thou shalt tread the olives, but thou shalt not anoint thee with oil; and sweet wine, but shalt not drink wine.
For the statutes of Omri are kept, and all the works of the house of Ahab, and ye walk in their counsels; that I should make thee a desolation, and the inhabitants thereof an hissing: therefore ye shall bear the reproach of my people.” Micah 6:15-16
2) In Deuteronomy chapter 28, God is (among other things) warning His people of the punishments and such that will over take them if they won’t keep His commandments and statutes. One of the punishments is that they won’t be able to obtain the blessings of anointing with olive oil:
- “Thou shalt have olive trees throughout all thy coasts, but thou shalt not anoint thyself with the oil; for thine olive shall cast his fruit.” Deuteronomy 28:40
Regardless of the type of oil, here’s a sample prayer.
The elder or elders would put some oil on the their fingers and touch the person to be prayed over (on the head or hand, perhaps) and pray:
- “God our father in Heaven, we come before you in the name of Jesus. You say in the Word that we can anoint the sick with oil and they will be raised up, so we claim this promise for (name of person).
- God we anoint (name of person) with oil in the name of Jesus and pray for healing for (type of sickness).”
This prayer can be combined with laying on of hands and casting out devils:
- “God our father in Heaven, we come before you in the name of Jesus. You say in the Word that we can anoint the sick with oil and they will be raised up, and they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover, and in my name shall they cast out devils. So, God, we claim these promises for (name of person).
- God we anoint (name of person) with oil, and lay hands on him/her and pray for healing in the name of Jesus. All you devils of (type of sickness) in (name of person), we bind you, and rebuke you, and cast you out, in the name of Jesus. [Do this six times.] Please let it be so God, in Jesus’ name.”